|Engine:||Inline 4 cylinder, 141.5 cubic inch (2.319 liter),|
|Transfer Case:||4-Speed plus reverse, manual transmission|
|Class:||1/4 ton truck/personnel transport|
|Height:||71 inches with top up. Reducible to 53 inches with top down|
|Curb Weight:||2,400 pounds|
|No. Produced:||>100,000 1959 to 1982|
|Status||Currently under restoration|
|Owner:||Estrella Warbird Museum|
The M151-A1 1/4-ton 4x4 utility truck was the successor to the Korean War M38 and M38A1 Jeep Light Utility Vehicles. Ford Motor was awarded the contract to design a utility truck based on a design and specifications of the US Army's Ordnance Tank Command. Design started in 1951 and prototyping lasted most of the 1950's. Although initiall developed and produced by Ford, production contracts for the M151A2 were later awarded to Kaiser and AM General Corp, a subsidiary of American Motors Company.
Although the M151-A1 retained manyt of the same basic layout features and dimensions of its predecessors, it was actually a complete new design. It utilized an integrated frame design, which integrated the box frame rails into the shee-steel body structure unlike the previous steel tub bolted onto a separate steel frame. This gave it more ground clearance, a slightly larger vehicle with more room than the previous jeep designs while retaining the same basic weight.
Various models of the M-151 were built which saw extensive service with the US Marine Corps, at least 15 NATO countries and various non-NATO countries including Egypt, Lebanon, Israel, the Philippines and Pakistan.