|License # Serial #:||83145|
|Engine:||Willys Hurricane F-Head 134 inline-four cylinder engine|
|Suspension:||4 WD, 4 Leaf Springs|
|Transfer Case:||Dana 19|
|Tires:||700 x 16 NDT|
|Length/Width:||139 inches, 61 inches|
|Owner:||Estrella Warbirds Museum|
This Jeep was assigned to Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California. It was first sold to a collector in Southern California. It was purchased in 2008 by Richard Woodland, refurbished, and put on display at the Estrella Warbird Museum in 2009.
The Willys MC, formally the 1⁄4-Ton, 4 x 4, Utility Truck M38, or the G‑740 by its U.S. Army Standard Nomenclature supply catalog designation, is a quarter-ton four-wheel drive military light utility vehicle made by Willys between 1949 and 1952. It replaced (in production), and succeeded the World War II Willys MB and Ford GPW models, with a total production of some 50,000 units — less than one tenth the number of WWII models built. Unlike during WWII, Ford was no longer involved in the production.
The M38 was a military version of the then-current civilian Jeep CJ-3A. It differed from the CJ-3A in numerous ways, including a reinforced frame and suspension, waterproof 24-volt electrical system, sealed vent system for the engine, transmission, transfer case, fuel system and brake system.
Some M38 jeeps served in the Korean theatre of operations, but the majority of units used there were remanufactured World War II jeeps. Approximately 2,300 M38 Jeeps were manufactured by Ford of Canada for Canadian Armed Forces in 1952, designated as the M38-CDN jeep. The M38 Willys MC was succeeded by the M38A1 Willys MD in 1952.
The M38 windshield could be folded flat for firing and the body was equipped with a pintle hook for towing and lifting shackles front and rear. The headlights were no longer recessed as on previous models, but protruded with a guard wire in front. The "pioneer" tools (axe and shovel) which were carried on the MB's driver side were transferred to the passenger side of this vehicle.