The Dodge WC (Weapons Carrier) series was designed by Dodge as a light military truck in 1941. Dodge originally started to make military trucks in 1939. The WC-52's were a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck utilized during WWII as a weapons carrier, cargo truck, telephone installation truck, and ambulance.
|License # Serial #:|
|Engine:||Straight 6 cylinder, 230 cubic inch|
|Transmission:||4 speed 4x4 wheel drive|
|Width:||6 ft 7 inches|
|Height:||(with canvas cover) 6 ft 10 inches
(with top down) 5 ft 2 inches
|Winch:||Braden MU2 7,500 lb capacity|
|Drive Train / Axels||4 x 4|
|Crew:||1 + 1|
|Owner:||Estrella Warbird Museum|
This 1944 US Army Dodge WC-52 truck, was previously restored by Central City Surplus Co., in Santa Maria, and dontated to the Estrella Warbirds Museum by Jay Hardy of Nipomo, CA. History of this truck shows it was utilized by the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82 Airbone Division. The 505th spearheaded the D-Day invasion of Normandy and along with the 101st Division fighting their way eastward towards Berlin. Along the way, they were involved in Operation Market Garden, Battle of the Bulge, and served as an occupation force in the American Sector of Berlin. The yellow "4" sign on the front of the vehicle denoted the weight class of the vehicle. This number was taken into account when crossing bridges that had strict weight limit in order to avoid colapse.
During World War II, the Dodge Company produced tens of thousands of light weight, versatile trucks including the WC (weapons carrier). While most cargo was carried in "deuce and a half" or larger vehicles, the Dodge WCs worked long and hard, an essential part of Army mobility that led to victory in 1945. The Dodge G-502 ¾ ton 4×4 trucks were first introduced in late 1941. Standard vehicles in the ¾ ton 4×4 class were the WC-51 / WC-52 Weapons Carrier, Telephone Installation Trucks, WC-53 Carryall, and the WC-54 Ambulance. In the cargo trucks, the WC51 was identical to the WC52 but did not have the front bumper-mounted winch.
The Dodge WC series (nicknamed by some GIs 'Beeps') was a prolific range of light 4WD and a late medium 6WD military utility truck. All came from Dodge or Fargo during the war, in addition to the mass of 1/4-ton jeeps from Willys and Ford. The Dodge 1/2‑ton and moreover the 3/4‑ton completed this provision of light 4WD trucks, Dodge contributing to some 337,500 of "WC" 4WD range, half as many as jeeps. Of these, about 255,000 were of the factory G-502 series (WC-51 to 64). The wartime Dodge WC Series were highly standardized, purpose-built from the factory. They did not require modifications in the field as did the Jeeps.
The WC series, still was part of a large prewar family of trucks with reduced costs thanks to parts commonality, and could easily transition into open or closed-cab cargo trucks. They also became as weapons carriers (like the M6 GMC), radio command cars, reconnaissance vehicles, ambulances, cargo trucks and panel vans, telephone carriers, mobile emergency and field workshop trucks. Two generations of vehicles were built in wartime, also called "VC series" but from 1941 on it was called the WC series, was was later developed into the most prolific WC-55 3/4 ton truck. In U.S. Army G-505 Ordnance Corps Supply Catalog they had the same number and were seen on all fronts. Thousands more were shipped to allies, including the Soviet Union, where they were also revered due to their functionality and dependability.