|Gross Weight:||3,650 lbs|
|Length (Overall):||132.25 inches|
|Width (Overall):||55.5 inches|
|Height (Top Up)||71.75 inches|
|Mas Speed:||65 mph|
|Fuel Capacity:||15 gallons|
|Electrical:>/th>||6 neg (converted to 12V)|
|Transmission||T-84, 3 Speed|
|Transfer Case:||2 Speed Dana 18|
|Engine:||4-134 L Head (463)|
|Engine Type:||L-4 134 "Go-Devil"
|Number of Cylinders:||4
|Cubin Inch:||134.22 CID (2199.53 CC)
|Horsepower:/th>||60 HP (45 kW) @4000 rpm|
|Torque:||105 ft-lb (142-N-m) @2000 rpm
Joining our collection of jeeps is a version often seen on the tarmak of many military airports. The bright color pattern is designed to be readily seen by recently landed aircraft and used to guide aircraft to the appropriate parking area. The original airport in Paso Robles was the home of the Estrella Army Air Base.
A classic example of utilizations of early-WWII Army Jeeps, this one painted for a specific use/location. This is also one of the EWM restored vehicles which represents the Estrella WarBirds Museum in local community events.
During concept testing for jeeps, Ford and Willys were asked to produce their own pilot models for testing, the results of which would determine the contract.
The original pilot models were submitted and named accordingly. The Willys Quad by Willys Overland, the Ford Pygmy by Ford and the BRC 60 by Bantam were accepted and orders were given for 1,500 units per company, with a revised weight limit of 2,160 pounds. During these pre-production runs, each vehicle was re-named. The Willys Quad became the “MA”, the Ford Pygmy became the “GP”, and the “BRC 60” became the “BRC 40”. By July of 1941, the War Department, needing standardization, selected Willys-Overland to fulfill its contract, on account of the MA’s powerful engine, silhouette, low bid ($748.74/unit), and because of the company’s ability to fulfill production needs, ordering another 16,000 vehicles.
Absorbing some of the design features of the Bantam and Ford entries, the Willys “MA” was then renamed the Willys “MB”, and featured the powerful “Go Devil” engine and a welded flat iron “slat” radiator grille (which was later replaced by a stamped grille in March of 1942). By October 1941, due to an increased demand for production, Ford was contracted to assist Willys-Overland and changed their model’s name from “GP to “GPW”, with the "W" referring to the "Willys" licensed design. During World War II, Ford produced some 280,000 of these vehicles.
The MA and early MBs had the “Willys” name stamped into the left rear panel; however, in the spring of 1942, the War Department decided not to feature the logo and removed them. Early MBs had a wiper for each side of the windshield, which were hand operated in contrast to later configurations. The windshields also varied slightly. The first 3,500 produced used an MA-type frame, which had a shorter distance between the cowl and the glass frames (4 inches). The later models had a 6 inch measurement, and were noticeably taller. In the earlier model MBs, the gas tank still had rectangular lower corners, as opposed to later versions.
While earlier black-out lamps for the MB were used as aids to see other vehicles in the convoy, later MBs feature a large blackout headlamp mounted on the left front fender that was used to help the driver see where he was going. The headlamps on all WWII Ford GPW and Willys MB Jeeps hinged up so they could illuminate the engine compartment in dark times. In 1942 the MB jeeps got combat wheels, replacing the original stamped and welded version. Combat wheels were heavier and bolted together to facilitate field repair, and also had the ability to transport the vehicle for a distance with deflated tires. All jeeps had brackets for their pioneer tools mounted on the left side below the entryway.
Rounded rear corners were found on the bodies of all the production Jeeps, both Ford’s GPW and Willys’ MB models. All models also featured larger bumperettes, exterior handles for manual extrication from sticky terrain, and two top bows to raise the height of the canvas and keep it from pounding the heads of the front seat occupants. The instrument panels began to look more militarized on the MB and GPW. Instruments were separate (oil pressure, fuel level, ammeter, water temperature, speedometer) had black faces, and were externally illuminated. The in-out lever for the front differential, and the transfer case lever, were on the right side of the transmission lever, as those components had migrated from the left side on the Bantams to the right side on the production models.