The G518 One-Ton cargo trailer known as the "Ben Hur" trailer was made to tow behind 2.5 ton trucks but during the war could be found being towed behind 1 ton to 7.5 ton trucks and even some Armored Vehicles.
The trailer consisted of a 8 foot long x 4 foot wide steel or wood box mounted on a single axle trailer. Usually the trailer was covered with a frame and tarpaulin (anybody have one they want to sell).
Variations of the trailer were used to haul fire pumps, mobile kitchens, generators, and other goods
G518 Trailers were made by the following companies:
American Bantam, Ben Hur, Century Boat Works, Checker, Dorsey, Gertenslager, Henney, Hercules Body, Highland Body & Trailer, Hobbs, Hyde, Mifflinburg Body, Naburs, Nash Kelvinator, Omaha Standard Body, Pke, Queen City, Redman, Steel Products, Strick, Transportation Equipment Corp, Truck Engineering Corporation, Willys Overland, Winter Weiss, Baker, Covered Wagon Co., Keystone, And Streich.
These trailers were built from 1941 to 1945.
|Overall Length||145 1/2 inches|
|Width||71 1/8 inches|
|Height||73 in with canvas top|
|Empty Weight||1300 lbs|
|Max weight:||4300 lbs (on road) 2300 lb off-road|
|Brakes||hand, parking only|
The Ben Hur trailer was nicknamed after its major manufacturer, the Ben Hur Mfg. Co., although there were many other companies that produced it between 1941 and 1945. Its primary purpose was to transport general cargo; the Signal Corps modified it to carry several different generators.