|Axle load (lb:)|
|Tires||Ply 12||Size 9.00 x 20||psi 70|
|Tread, center to center||front|
|Vehicle Dimensions||ground clearance||inches||11|
|Shipping dimensions||(cu ft)||(sq ft)|
|Pintle Height (in)||Loaded||Unloaded|
|Type of ground||positive|
|Capacities||Fuel, 70 octane gasoline||(gal)||60|
|Rear (each wheel)||(qts)|
|Winch||Oil Capacity (front)||(qts)|
|Rear winch transmission||(qts)|
|Load capacity front||(lbs)|
|Turning Radius (ft)||Right 38.5||Left 37|
|Angle of approach (deg)||(deg)||37|
|Angle of departure||(deg)||39|
|Fuel Capacity||Average conditions||gal||60|
|Cruising Range||Average conditions||(miles)||180|
|Maximum allowable speed||(mph)||40|
|Number of speeds forward||5|
|Type valve in head||In-line, 4 cycle||Cylinders||6|
|Maximum recommended toward load gross||(lbs)||25,000|
|Height with gun mount||(in)||114|
|Live beam axles, type on leaf springs||double-reduction||full-floating|
The Diamond T 4-ton 6×6 truck was a heavy tactical truck built for the United States Army during World War II. Its G-number was G-509. Cargo models were designed to transport a 4-ton (3,600 kg) load over all terrain in all weather. In addition to the cargo truck, there were also wrecker, dump, pontoon and other specialty models.
This truck, built in August of 1944 by Diamond T Motor Car Company in Chicago Illinois. It was the principle 4 ton truck of the US Army during WWII. Considered the "Cadillac of American Trucks," it was a tough, handsome brute found in every theater of WWII. Its rugged design and its total reliability were much appreciated by the American soldiers. This particular truck was surplused by the Norwegian Army in the mid-1990's and was then acquired by a Belgian collector. From Belgium, it found its way to England where a British collector restored it. Apparently he found it too difficult to maneuver on the narrow English country lanes and so it finally came home to the United States in 1999.
Autocar, Diamond T, and White built prototypes of this vehicle. Diamond T built 1,000 Model 967s in 1940. In 1941 their improved Model 968 was standardized and went into production at their Chicago plant. They would build over 30,000 chassis between 1940 and 1945.
The Diamond T 968 basic cargo model was a prime mover used to tow the 155 mm howitzer M1 and transport the gun crew, equipment, and ammunition. They had a pintle hitch at the rear to tow up to 11,000 pounds (5,000 kg) off-road and 25,000 pounds (11,000 kg) on road. With a short wheelbase and rear overhang, the body could only be 11 feet (3.4 m) feet long. It had sideboards with fold down troop seats and bows for an overhead tarpaulin. Two spare tires were mounted inside the body, across the front. Early models had all steel bodies, in 1942 they were replaced by largely wood types to conserve steel.