|Shipping dimensions||(cu ft)||(sq ft)||*|
|Tires||Ply 8||Size||9.00 x 16|
|Tread||Center to center||inches||64 3/4|
|Ground Clearance||(in)||10 5/8|
|Pintle Height||Loaded 26 3/3||Unloaded||27 5/16|
|Capacities||Fuel, 70 octane gasoline||(gal)||30|
|Turning Radius (ft)||feet||26 1/2|
|Angle of approach (deg)||with winch 37 1/2||without||54|
|Angle of departure||(deg)||31|
|Fuel Consumption||Average conditions||mpg||8|
|Cruising Range||Average conditions||(miles)||240|
|Masximum allowable speed||(mph)||54|
|Number of speeds forward||4|
|Type||In-line, 4 cycle||Cylinders||6|
|*Figures given above are for vehicle without winch. For vehicles with winch use the following data:|
The truck displayed here is a modification of the 4x4 model of which Dodge built more than 200,000 in various body styles from a cargo truck to the command car versions and ambulances from 1942 to 1945.
As the army increased the size of a rifle squad from 8 to 12 soldiers during WWII, Dodge was asked to modify the 4x4 model by adding a 3rd axle and exgtending the frame and the cargo bed by four feet.
In addition, the single speed transfer case was replaced by a 2-speed version. Most other parts were the same as utilized in the 4x4 models. Dodge build approximately 43,000 of these trucks from 1943 to 1945, many of them equipped with a braden Mu2 winch.
They served in all theaters of WWII around the globe and soldiered on long after the end of the war in many armies of the western Allies for another 30 years.
This particular truck saw service in Algeria with the French Army before it was sold in 1980. Other than a new set of the correct tires, a new wiring harness an d a new coat of paint, it needed little effort to make it roadworthy again. It was also converted to 12-volt.