|Shipping dimensions||(cu ft) 1,301||(sq ft) 142||*|
|Pintle Height (in)||Loaded 30 1/2||Unloaded||32|
|Ground Clearance||(in)||9 7/8|
|Tread, center to center (in)||Front 60||Rear||67 1/2|
|Capacities||Fuel, 70 octane gasoline||(gal)||40|
|Turning Radius (ft)||Right 34||Left||35|
|Angle of approach (deg)||with winch 31||without||36|
|Angle of departure||(deg)||44|
|Fuel Consumption||Average conditions||mpg||7.5|
|Cruising Range||Average conditions||(miles)||300|
|Masximum allowable speed||(mph)||45|
|Number of speeds forward||5|
|Type||In-line, 4 cycle||Cylinders||6|
|*Figures given above are for vehicle without winch. For vehicles with winch use the following data:|
GMC's Model CCKW is probably second only to the JEEP in fame as the "workhorse" of WW2. This particular vehicle was designed for lifting and transporting ordnance/bombs. Developed mostly from off-the-shelf civilian components with some military sheetmetal and a second rear axle added, 562,750 of these trucks were produced from 1942 to 1945 by the General Motors Truck and Coach Division of Yellow Truck and Coach Mfg. Co.
No other truck built during WWII came in more variations: It was not only available in 2 wheelbases (145" for the model 352 and 164" for the model 353) but also as a dump, compressor, van, decontamination, cargo, wrecker, chemical service, fuel tanker, water tanker, ordnance maintenance, shop, surgical, water purification and other versions.
Many trucks were also equipped with Heil or Garwood winches and about 25% carried the ring mount for a .50 caliber machine gun The early models had the closed civilian cab which was changed in 1943 to the standard open military cab. The chassis of these trucks had either Banjo or Timken axles which were not interchangeable.
Similar trucks were built by International and Studebaker. While the former went almost exclusively to the Marine Corps in the Pacific theater of war, large quantities of the latter were shipped to Russia under the Lend-Lease program. This is one reason why today only few of these trucks have survived while GMC's are still plentiful, may kept them in service for another 40 years or so, a true testament to their reliability, curability and ease of maintenance.
The truck displayed here served in the French Army after WWII. When retired from the French service, it was acquired by Mr. Pfauter from a German surplus dealer in 1993. It was since shipped to the United States for restoration to its current condition and donated to the Estrella Warbird Museum in late 2020. This is an exceptional restoration of the vehicle as it was originally utilized during World War II.
This truck is stock in every respect with the exception of the addition of turn signals.