|Year/Model:||1958 T-28B Trojan|
|Power Plant:||1,425 hp Wright R-1820 piston radial|
|Wingspan:||40 feet 1 inch|
|Length:||32 feet 0 inches|
|Height:||12 feet 8 inches|
|Gross Weight:||8,500 pounds|
|Maximum Speed:||343 mph|
|Maximum Range:||1,000 statute miles|
|Service Ceiling:||24,000 feet|
|Status:||Privately Owned/ Operational, On Loan*|
|Owner:||Gooney Bird Group|
*Aircraft listed "On Loan" are privately owned by individuals or corporations and are proudly displayed at the Estrella Warbird Museum. The Estrella WarBirds Museum does not own, restore, operate nor maintain flyable aircraft. We are grateful that the owners display their aircraft at the museum for the public to view. Any courtesy rides given by aircraft owners is an agreement solely between the person that owns the aircraft and passenger.
T-28B in Flight
Special thanks to Matt Corippo, son of museum founder, Gary Corippo, for his video work!
This particular T-28B Trojan (MSN 200-374), was first assigned BuNo 138303 Certificate of airworthyness for NX9671N to VT-27, NAS Corpus Christi, TX; the MASDC, Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, Struck Off Charge in Oct 85, Registered N9671N
First flown in 1949, the Trojan entered production in 1950. Designed to replace the AT-6 Texan for all branches of the military, the Trojan was the heaviest and most powerful piston-engine trainer ever projected for primary training. It was also the first U.S. military trainer to have a tricycle gear.
In addition to the “B” model, the T-28C was built for the Navy starting in 1955. The “C” model was equipped with a smaller diameter propeller and a tail hook to allow aircraft carrier landings. The Navy flew a total of 489 “B” models and 299 “C” models for primary flight training and initial carrier qualifications. The service continued to use the aircraft until 1984.
In 1959, several hundred surplus “A” models were shipped to France where they were modified by Sid Aviation for the French Air Force. The French modifications included a bigger engine, structural improvements, and armament capabilities resulting in what is commonly known as the T-28S (Sud), T28F, or just the Fennec. After success in the counterinsurgency role in Algeria in the early sixties, these 245 Fennec aircraft continued to serve France for many years.
In 1962, North American began supplying a different model of the T28 – the T28D, to the U.S. military for combat in Southeast Asia. The T-28D had six underling hardpoints able to accept a variety of weapons from gun pods and rockets to napalm and 500-pound bombs. The 385 “D” model aircraft were used extensively throughout the war zone, including the USAF “Raven” Forward Air Controllers in Laos.
As a primary trainer, it was found to be too powerful for new students, and the services had to bring in the Beech T-34 for cadets to get flight instruction for 30 hours before stepping up into the Trojan.
The first production, as T-28A, numbered 1,194 planes, then the Navy got their T-28B in 1952, differing in having a more powerful engine to replace the 800hp Wright R-1300, and a two-part canopy, plus structural modifications for duty aboard carriers. For counter-insurgency combat, Trojan was again revised, this time as the single-seat T-28D, with armament and rocket-launchers. When production ended in 1957, North American had built a total of 1,948 of these three versions.
Thanks to Peter Visel for this video captured in March, 2009 while flying with the Trojans & Hoovers